Nationwide uses technology which collects and retrieves information from your computer, smartphone or tablet’s browser when you visit and use our digital services (e.g. our websites, our apps and emails). They can be cookies, or similar technologies such as pixels, tags or web beacons. As this technology is widely known as cookies, we’ll refer to them all as that in this policy.
Some of these cookies are necessary to make an online service work, but for others we need your consent before we can collect information. If you decide to consent to these optional cookies, you can change your settings at any time.
On this page
What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of information contained within the pages on our websites, our apps and emails and are placed on your computer, smartphone or tablet.
There are different types of cookies:
- Session cookie – these are set to collect and send information to us for the length of time your browser is open on our website or app
- Persistent cookie – these stay on your device for longer to help us identify your device in the future and allow a user’s actions to be remembered. They each have their own timeframe for staying on your device.
- First party cookie – these are placed on your device directly by Nationwide (a first party cookie)
- Third party cookie – these are placed by a third party, such as an ad network, social media platform or search engine. It may result in additional cookies being set by that third party for their purposes.
Cookies and the data they collect
- Unique values so that our digital services know that they are talking to your device
- The time and date that a device has used our websites or apps, the content that you viewed and how you reached us (e.g. via a search engine)
- The type of device you are using (e.g. a tablet or a computer)
- The brand of device or browser (e.g. Apple, Android, Safari, Edge)
- Inputs made and values submitted
- General geographical location that people access from (e.g. city/town)
- Your settings for our site
- Identifiers such as Customer Number, Application Number, Device ID or IP Address that may allow the information collected to be linked to an individual
Nationwide has 2 main categories of cookies on the newsroom:
- Essential cookies
- Targeting and marketing cookies
You’ll find out more about these in the following sections.
These are the cookies which make our websites work and keep you safe by:
- Keeping your browsing sessions private
- Allowing you to complete an application form
- Making your time on our digital services run smoothly and securely
- Letting us know whether cookies will work on your device
- Ensuring we apply your preferences consistently
Whilst our Privacy preferences centre won’t allow you to stop these cookies, your browser may. If your browser settings prevent these cookies we can't guarantee or predict how our websites will perform during your visit. We may also use these cookies to understand whether you intended to access our digital services if you clicked on a link from a partner website.
Targeting & marketing cookies
While some of the cookies we use on this website could be considered "targeting and marketing cookies", we do not use any of this cookie information to inform any online marketing activity. You will not see any online adverts from Nationwide based on your visit to the Nationwide Media Centre and Nationwide House Price Index website.
We work with a small number of trusted parties, which you can see in the table below, that help us keep an eye on website usability (e.g. number of visitors, volume of page views etc.). as well as making the sharing of website content on social platforms easy to do. None of the data collected by these cookies will be used to help target online adverts to you and Nationwide does not conduct any online marketing activity based on visits to this website.
|Details of how user’s information is used and how they can opt out
|Google.com (including YouTube)
Google Ad Preferences
|Adobe Privacy Center
|How cookies are used on Twitter
Just so you know, if you choose for us not to use Targeting and marketing cookies, you may still see our adverts on social media, search engines and other websites, we just won’t have used cookies to tailor them to you.
Setting your cookies preference
You can manage your cookie settings at any time.
In addition, however, most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings.
Find out how to manage cookies on popular browsers:
- Google Chrome (opens in a new window)
- Microsoft Edge (opens in a new window)
- Mozilla Firefox (opens in a new window)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (opens in a new window)
- Opera (opens in a new window)
- Apple Safari (opens in a new window)
You can also choose to:
- Opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites by visiting http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout (opens in a new window).
- Turn off targeting and marketing cookies from specific companies by visiting www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices (opens in a new window) or our Targeting and marketing information.
Nationwide adds pixels to the emails that we send. These help us to understand whether an email has been delivered, whether it has been opened and whether you clicked on any of the links contained within the email.
We do this so we can gain insight and improve our communications.
You may be able to prevent these pixels either through your web browser or the email provider you use (e.g. Outlook).